One of the most common and ancient fish species is the catfish. Catfish, with the exception of a few locations with extreme temperatures, are so adept at adjusting to their surroundings that they flourish everywhere. Delicious catfish is baked.
Some people are curious about the calorie content of baked catfish. There are 116 calories in 1 fillet of baked or broiled catfish. Read the article to learn more about baked catfish and get a recipe for it that only takes 30 minutes.
Nutrition Facts Of Catfish
This common catfish has a fantastic nutritional profile.
A 3.5-ounce (100-gram) serving of fresh catfish provides:
- Calories: 116
- Fat: 2.9 grams
- Protein: 18 grams
- Sodium: 50 mg
- Vitamin B12: 121% of the Daily Value (DV)
- Selenium: 26% of the DV
- Phosphorus: 24% of the DV
- Thiamine: 15% of the DV
- Potassium: 19% of the DV
- Cholesterol: 24% of the DV
- Omega-3 fatty acids: 237 mg
- Omega-6 fatty acids: 337 mg
Catfish is rich in protein, healthy fats, vitamins, and minerals in addition to having low calories and sodium levels.
Health Benefits Of Catfish
Packed With Lean Protein
One of your body’s main sources of energy is protein. Along with acting as the building blocks for numerous hormones, enzymes, and other molecules, it is also in charge of maintaining and repairing muscle and tissue.
Catfish, which has a serving size of 3.5 ounces (100 grams), offers 32–39% of the protein you need each day in just 105 calories.
In contrast, the same amount of salmon has more than 230 calories but only about half the daily requirement for protein.
The increase in feelings of fullness caused by nutrient-dense protein sources like catfish may help people lose weight. Additionally, those who are trying to cut calories while still getting the recommended amount of nutrients should consider this fish.
Contains Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Each week, eating up to 8 ounces of fish or other seafood is advised by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA).
The fact that catfish and other seafood typically contain more omega-3 fatty acids than other foods is one justification for this recommendation.
The benefits of omega-3 fatty acids for maintaining brain health are well known.
They may even aid in the treatment of neurological and mental conditions like memory loss, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), and depression, though more research is necessary for this area.
Additionally, omega-3s have been linked to enhancements in heart health, skeletal muscle strength, and even the gut microbiome, which is the group of good bacteria in your gut.
A Good Source Of Vitamin B12
3.5 ounces (100 grams) of catfish contains up to 121% of the daily value (DV) for vitamin B12, which many people lack.
Catfish is a particularly excellent source of this vitamin, despite the fact that many fish are high in it.
Numerous potential health advantages, including enhanced mental health, defense against heart disease, and the prevention and treatment of anemia, are associated with adequate vitamin B12 levels.
How Many Calories Of Baked Catfish
There are 116 calories in 1 fillet of baked or broiled catfish. The 116 calories must be expended through exercise. For example:
- 17 minutes of cycling
- 11 minutes of running
- 42 minutes of cleaning
30-Minute Baked Catfish Recipe
- Almond meal: If that’s all you have, blanched almond flour also works. If you’d prefer, you can also use the same quantity of regular or gluten-free breadcrumbs.
- Salt and pepper with kosher: If using fine salt, you should use less or the dish might become overly salty.
- Spices: Paprika, dried thyme, dried oregano, dried oregano powder, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne pepper. Your spices must be fresh, please. A dish can easily be ruined by a stale spice. Speaking from personal experience!
- Butter: I use it as a dipping sauce for the fish fillets before I coat them in an almond meal. European butter is so smooth and delicious. However, any butter is fantastic.
- Catfish fillets: I use filets without skin. If possible, try to obtain fish pieces of comparable size. I ended up slicing one of the fillets because the thickness of the ones I received was so inconsistent.
- Avocado oil spray: Because of its high smoke point and neutral flavor, this oil is perfect for cooking.
It’s simple to bake catfish in the oven. To view the recipe card’s step-by-step instructions, scroll down. The fundamental steps are as follows:
- In a shallow dish, combine the almond meal, salt, pepper, and spices.
- Melt the butter in another small bowl.
- Next, dredge each fish fillet in the almond meal mixture before dipping it in the melted butter.
- Fish fillets should be placed on a roasting rack that has been greased. Spray them with oil.
- When the fish is crisp and golden on the outside and tender and opaque inside, it has been baked for about 15 minutes in a 450°F oven.