Fish gives off a smell that can become very unpleasant if it stays around for a long time in your fridge or freezer. We explain how to remove the smell of fish from a fridge to make sure your appliances and your home environment are free from this repulsive stench.
How do I get the fish odor out of the fridge? Despite being refrigerated, the fish still has a strong odor that you cannot escape. And even after you take it out, there’s still a smell, which I assume you want to get rid of—I can relate to that. This article was written specifically with you in mind.
Let’s get right to the method for eliminating the fish odor from your refrigerator.
How to Get Fish Smell Out of Your Refrigerator?
Although it may seem difficult, anyone can easily remove the fishy smell from their fish. If it’s for your food, we can assist you with that. Start doing it for your food now, and weigh away. Once completed, they are simple steps. You should also know Where Should You Store Raw Fish In The Refrigerator?
Cleaning Out the Fridge
In the event that fish goes bad in the refrigerator and you’re wondering how to get the fish smell out of your refrigerator, following these steps will bail you out:
- Remove any food that is inside the refrigerator and unplug it.
- All of the refrigerator’s trays and storage bins should be removed.
- Get rid of it right away if you know where the smell is coming from. If not, carefully go through each container and toss any potentially spoiled food.
- Open the refrigerator’s doors now to a wide angle, allowing proper fresh air circulation for about an hour.
- With warm water and a good dish detergent, thoroughly clean the refrigerator’s crevices and crevices.
- After that is finished, clean the soapy water from the refrigerator with a clean sponge and some fresh water.
- In order to clean the refrigerator’s surfaces and corners of germs, a suitable disinfectant should also be used at the recommended concentration.
- The surfaces of the refrigerator would likely still be wet after cleaning and disinfecting. To remove any moisture, use a dry towel.
- For each compartment of the refrigerator, repeat these steps.
- Do you still have any memory of the food items you pulled from the refrigerator? Reopening the door now will allow them to once again enjoy your refrigerator’s deliciously fragrant contents.
Using Odor Absorbers
You might want to try some odor absorbers as an alternative. These will be helpful if you want to get rid of the distinct fish smell from your fridge without having to put in a lot of effort.
By the way, two inexpensive and do-it-yourself odor absorbers you might want to try out coffee granules and baking soda.
You’ll be surprised at how quickly the odor of fish is eliminated by placing some soda or coffee granules on a plate and putting it in your refrigerator.
And just so you know, when the refrigerator is on and properly circulating cool air, odor absorbers work better.
Using Newspaper and Charcoal
Another method to remove the smell of fish is to cover the inside of the refrigerator with newspaper and put fresh charcoal over it. Both elements will help to absorb the bad smell that fish leaves behind.
A few hours are needed for the charcoal to start working. You can store them in the refrigerator overnight if you feel it’s necessary.
How to Get Rid of the Smell of Fish before and During Cooking?
Genuinely fresh, raw fish shouldn’t have a strong flavor. The fish should be soaked in milk for about 20 minutes, though, if you are worried about odors. Any odors will be neutralized as a result of this.
Alternately, submerge the fish in a small amount of water and lemon juice solution. Without negatively affecting the flavor, this fights the microbes responsible for unpleasant odors.
How to Get Rid of the Smell of Fish from Your Hands?
There is a good chance that your hands will smell quite strongly after preparing your fish-based dish. If you have a stainless steel sink, simply rub your hands on it before rinsing it with soap and water. You should be able to detect a difference. Stainless steel is capable of removing the smell. The garlic smell can be eliminated using this method as well.
Alternate remedies include rubbing salt into your palms or sprinkling your hands with lemon juice or white vinegar. However, if you have any cuts, it is not a good idea to follow any of these recommendations.
The Bottom Line: How to Get Fish Smell Out of Your Refrigerator?
And that’s how to remove the refrigerator’s fishy odor. Once again, make sure to eat foods like fish as soon as possible after storing them to avoid odors that might contaminate other items. You can easily fix the issue with a few common household items.
There are three ways to remove the smell of fish from your refrigerator. Utilizing odor absorbers, such as homemade versions made with baking soda and coffee granules, is one method.
And you might prefer to employ the second technique if you’re dealing with bad fish. The second technique entails switching off your refrigerator, removing the contents, and giving it a thorough cleaning.